The course gives participants the opportunity to learn entrepreneurship in a hands-on, team based and fun format. The students will work in teams on a project where they will exercise the entrepreneurial process.
- Opportunity identification
- Creativity & the innovation process
- Business Model Development
- Customer development
- Market testing
Students will work through the process of building a business model for a product or service that could be brought to market. The main theme of the course is a focus on growth ventures, or those that become scalable businesses. While many of the same skills can be applied to entrepreneurial small businesses, this course will allow students to exercise the analysis and executional skills required of entrepreneurs in scalable technology ventures. In addition, students will be exposed to entrepreneurial settings including a U.S. based entrepreneurial accelerator, makerspaces, and various forms of start-up ventures. Students will have the opportunity to hear from and speak with entrepreneurs in various stages of venture creation.
Course Learning Outcomes:
- Understand methods for identifying, and validating entrepreneurial opportunities.
- Identify and describe key issues affecting the growth of entrepreneurial ventures.
- Develop and defend a consistent business model.
- Develop the ability to conduct effective customer development interviews and analyze interview data.
- Discover the personal, behavioral, and situational factors in an entrepreneurial business that lead to success and failure.
- Identify the skills of effective founders which enable them to manage companies through launch and growth stages.
- Understand critical concepts related to financing and analyzing the economics of an entrepreneurial venture.